Paging Dr. Huxtable

<b>Paging Dr. Huxtable</b>

Saturday, October 17, 2009

How to Handle a PreTeen Little Girl Who is Starting Puberty:Phone Calls


Even though I was a teenage girl, I never thought of myself of as a normal teenage girl.

I have three sisters and a butt load little girlfriends but I find myself lost when it comes to my daughter. So I am going to share with everyone what I have learned thus far.

Lesson One:

One day out of know where I get a little girl voice asking me a question. I should have known at the time puberty was beginning but apparently I am not that bright. So I now realize this question was a signal, a sign of change, or maybe even a warning signal.

The question was........"Mommy can I call my friend?"

I had no idea what I just walked into at that moment. Because not only was that question a caution sign that puberty had reared its ugly face, it was also a question I was going to hear multiple times everyday and in my dreams at night.

Now we went from having one little girlfriend to call everyday to a huge list of girlfriends. No parenting manual could prepare me for what happened a few days ago. Somehow Taylor got it in her head that her little brother lost her list of phone numbers. In fact she thought he had thrown the list in the garbage.

It turned into a massive meltdown within minutes. She was hysterical and she was sobbing her little eyes out. I had no idea that these numbers were the key to my little girl's sanity. But apparently they were.

So after minutes of trying to figure out why my preteen was bawling hysterically I found the numbers. Crisis averted but lesson learned.

The cutest thing that my little social butterfly will do lately while she is on the phone is use speaker phone. So the house gets to hear the cute little conversations she has with her little friends.

Of course her daddy has now found this to be a great opportunity to tease her by making faces at her when she is talking on the phone. But his favorite thing to do it dance to the Miley Cryus while she is listening to her little stereo with her friend on the line. I mean I really did not know my little girl could roll her eyes that many times in a five minute span.

No comments:

Post a Comment