Paging Dr. Huxtable

<b>Paging Dr. Huxtable</b>

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Nesta's Homecoming Posted 2.21.2009 org.


Nesta passed on 2.6.2009. She would have been 12 this spring. Since we live in an apartment we decided to have her cremated. I got a call on 2.18.2009 that she was ready. My heart sunk to know that she no longer a whole dog but a box full of ashes.

So we set out as family to pick her up. The crematory was on a side of Richmond I had only heard of, so with our trustee GPS friend we set out.

The place was in a small industrial building. Joe and I walked in. There was someone else picking up their pet. They left smiling. I thought to myself, that this cannot be that bad.

When it was our turn, we walked in and I began looking at Urns. Joe's face was red. I asked him if he wanted buy an URN. Part of me wanted a expensive engraved one. But I did not want to come back. The director showed me a plain black urn. I looked at Joe and he looked lost. So I told him that we would take it.

Joe went and got the kids out of the car. The director went to get urn that was available.

The director came in and showed me the urn. I definitely wanted it. Joe came in with the kids and he agreed as well.

We sat there while the director took the urn in the back to put Nesta in it. I still could not believe that she was only ashes. I sat with tears rolling down my face. Taylor was crying and Logan was completely silent.

The man brought her in and showed us the urn with Nesta. He explained the process so he could reassure us that this was Nesta. We finished the paperwork.

Joe carried her out office but we did not have the same look in our eyes that the previous people. We had tears streaming down our eyes.

I drove as fast as could. Joe sat and caressed the box as if she could feel it. Joey wanted to know where Nesta was, I told him I would explain it later.

We got home and ate lunch.

When I walked back in the room, I open the box with her urn. I pulled it out and hugged it. Then I opened it so I could stick my finger in and rub her bag of ashes. I cried again. Joe gave me her hair that he took from her the day she died.

All I could think about is that she now about the size they day Joe brought her home.

I went to the store and bought her a self. I wanted her to be in the living room where the family hangs out. I think that is where she wanted to be.

I finally sat down with Joey and explained to him that she was in heaven and how cremation worked.

Joey asked me if she was with Martin Luther King and George Washington. I told him yes. I sure they are feeding her french fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment